Friday, October 2, 2009

Montana Day 3 and North Dakota





I guess I need to get on top of this story telling. Montana Day 3 and North Dakota was almost a week ago, now.

So last Sunday I woke up on the stopped train to the feeling of the car moving. In a delirious state and with my eyes bleary from my sleep on the train floor, I couldn't quite tell if we were on our way or not. Finally, once I actually came to and heard my train mate tell me he was jealous of how long I slept, I knew that we were back on our way.

As we started out I was glad to have some granola and banana that I had bought the night before. I read and wrote, and listened to some music. After spending my nights in the seats, I decided to spend my waking hours in the lounge car, with the views and the window facing chairs. This decision ended up making my day.

Because of the train delays our car was offered free coffee and water all day. Free coffee. . . all day. Another reason to spend time in the view car. While I was down in the lounge reading Moby Dick and jotting notes to recall the scenes, a guy across from me asked how I was holding up. I started talking with this new friend, Limey and another guy (I don't like the term, "guy," by the way, but I don't know how else to describe a young man without saying "young man." Trouble.) Omni. As we talked Omni and I started talking about cities and trading, minimal living, and communities. We spent the rest of the day talking, laughing, reading and enjoying the long ride.

Realizing that I could not only make my way through the country alone, but find people with whom I could connect so easily gave me a great assurance that my love for being on the road was not something that came from short endeavors with those I knew. It is a love that is real, and that I hope to continue to pursue. This became one of the most beautiful days, finding myself quite where I wanted to be, and learning from the things and people around me. It was a time that I was honestly sad to see end.

2 comments:

sarah e. said...

alternative 2: 'thesky'

Chinyere Adeleke said...

YOU ARE ALREADY DOING WHAT YOU SET OUT TO DO. THERE MAY BE MANY STUMBLING BLOCKS ON YOUR WAY. sOME TIMES THEY TALK YOU OUT OF YOUR DESTINATION, SOME TIMES THEY KEEP QUIETE ON YOU BECAUSE THEY DO NOT WANT YOU TO PROGRESS. SOMETIMES THEY COMPLAIN ABOUT EVERY OF YOUR MOVES. bUT IT HURTS TO KNOW THAT THEY ARE YOUR FRIENDS, SISTERS, BROTHERS, EVEN PARENTS. THE BEST THING TO DO IS TO KEEP YOUR NEW IDEAS TO YOURSELF AND GOD. BE READY TO SUFFER FOR YOUR DECISIONS. GOOD LUCK

 
Site Meter