Friday, October 9, 2009

I found myself in autumn.






Arriving in Penn Station, I found my way to a map that helped me find my way to the train that would take me to my new home. For a moment I considered going outside to take picture, but realized that as it was my new home, time was not of the essence. Making my way to the 2-3 train I bought my unlimited ride card, awkwardly got myself through and headed toward the place I would know.

Once in Brooklyn I got onto the F train, and after just a few moments I came out from underground for the first time in New York. The sun was setting, and the buildings were casting shadows about the landscape. Between my expression of anticipation and back loaded with bags, a man beside me caught me as new and asked, "This your first time seeing it?" I'd been to Brooklyn, but since it was a whole new feeling and a whole new situation, I just smiled and said, "Yea, kind of." He went on to tell me a bit about Brooklyn, and pointed out the highest tower in downtown. When I told him I was moving he wished me good luck, and I got off to find my home.

Seeing my street was odd, since I had spent so much time Google Mapping it the last few months. At my cross-street I stopped for a moment, took it all in, and my heart jumped with joy. After all that had happened, I had actually made it.

That was four days ago, and since then if feels like I have been settled in for weeks. Having friends here has made the transition so smooth, and so enjoyable. Our tiny apartment is a beautiful place, and our plans for it are big. Our tastes are coming together wonderfully, and as I sit here drinking my cinnamon soy coffee, listening to the innocence mission with the sun finding its way to our basement windows, I feel quite content. I love to find the beauty that is around me, and this seems like it will be an easy place to do that.

6 comments:

willow said...

please tell me that is a chalkboard! amazing.

Shannon said...

meg i just read about all of your travels and am so happy for you :)

megan said...

it is a chalkboard. :) how great is erin for putting it up? and the homemade chandelier from christmas lights and a found frame.

megan said...

it is a chalkboard. :) how great is erin for putting it up? and the homemade chandelier from christmas lights and a found frame.

sarah e. said...

is that a picture of the jonas brothers?

megan said...

haha! not the jonasbrothers, ringo, paul and george. close, though. :)

 
Site Meter