Saturday, October 3, 2009

Chicago! Days 1-4









Chicago felt like an end of an era for me in my travels. My laptop was back in hand, and people I knew were around me. It was entirely different, and I wasn't sure how to feel. Although most uncertain about my time between LA and Chicago, that time alone, facing uncertainty and being met by both great adventure and great peace, felt like a time I was not yet ready to leave.

I arrived in Chicago on Monday, where I went immediately to take the tourist picture in the bean. With my pack and bags I got plenty of comments and looks, from a cop questioning me about why I was in the city to a polished older German lady who told me about her similar travels at my age.

In Chicago I was glad to be with my brother, my friend Stephen, and my brothers friends who have become my own in my visits. As usual, my brother tried to convince me to move, and as usual a part of me wished I could jump in and say yes. We ate vegan food, drank Caribou coffee, and played games. Stephen took me to a wonderful deli, then showed me around the art studios at Wheaton college. Just so you all know, Stephen is so great as a person and as an artist. It was great to see his work, and great to spend time with him. My brother is great, his friends are great. . .

In the end, although sad to see the first half of my trip end, I cannot say it was not a wonderful time relaxing and enjoying friends. It was also nice to find myself closer to NY, and able to say that I could visit again soon. A turning point, to be sure.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Caribou coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David T. Ulrich said...

A. That's so great that you were in Chicago. Lucky you!
B. Where did you eat vegan food?

Living the dream,
David T. Ulrich

 
Site Meter