Monday, September 28, 2009

Montana Day 1








A lot has happened since Seattle. I will begin with my first day in Montana.

Leaving Seattle: Late afternoon as the sun set over the shore. Conversation with a guy in front of me that finds us sharing stories about our times in YWAM being overseas (India on his part, Nepal on mine). My first train friend that I made on my journey. A note with words of encouragement, and reflections of his prayers for me, signed his hometown "Dallas, TX," and a number to call if I need help in Montana. My first realization that time flies on trains.


Arriving in Montana: Well rested from the train, as I am small enough to curl into the reclining seat with leg rest. My most intimidating part of the trip, hundreds of miles away from anyone I had even an association with and camping alone. Long walks along the highway, grilled cheese from friendly locals at the only open restaurant, rivers and trees. One strange experience of a man stopping along the road to talk to me, and later, me buying a pocket knife. Safe warm night in a campground rec room playing ping pong with friends of the owners. MAKING A FIRE FROM ALMOST NOTHING. Sleeping cozily in my tent and waking up to the sound of a train passing by.


These small bits of my travels are some key moments in my trip, but could be expounded upon to a large degree. Even more than these things were all of the feelings I had finding my way to where I was going, feeling the appreciation of making a new friend, the adventure of exploring through unknown territory, the uncertainty of standing out as alone (which I realized I did far more than I thought I would), and the feeling of accomplishment in finding that I was quite fine and quite glad to be on the road, alone.



Next post: Day 2 in Montana; with a new location

3 comments:

Margaret said...

I totally had forgotten you had a blog and I was going through your photos and I was like: I wish that Meg was blogging about this!

AND YOU ARE!

Kate Craig said...

you're so brave!

carrie d. said...

I'm scared to sleep in my apartment alone, but a tent in the woods...?!? heeeeell no.

way to go!

 
Site Meter